I am so excited today, as this is my 500th blog post! This is a great opportunity to thank you, for visiting and engaging with me on this amazing journey that has taken me from working behind the scenes in our construction company to, being a regular contributor for an online publication, to the HIA Business Partner of The Year, to an Australian Finalist and a finalist in the international Amara Interior Blog Awards. It is a journey that I love sharing with you, thank you.
Continuing on with our How To Style series, this week I am offer a few tips on styling your entry. For this post I am concentrating on outside the front door, which is the second part of your home your guest will see, after being wowed by your street appeal. An often neglected area where kids shoes gather, with a few changes, you can make this part of our home as welcoming as the rest.
How To Style Your Entry
I always believe it is important to begin with a blank canvas. We often forget the space we have until it is stripped back bare. Pull everything away, give it a good clean and then you are ready to begin. As usual, take a little time to plan. If you use your front entry as the main entrance of your home, you will need to consider shoe storage, as well as storage for any bags etc you usually leave outside.
We recently added a big blanket box to our entrance, to house the kids shoe and football boots. The added bonus being a place to sit to take off your shoes. We are also avid gardeners, so somewhere to hang our hats was important by the front door. Hanging the hats here, also gave opportunity for us to inject a little personality to our entrance, giving our visitors a glimpse into who we are before they enter our home.
Our blue and white plant stand serves to bring a reflection of our internal style to the entrance as well. While our door speaks for itself, we have added deep green foliage plants near by to soften the orange brown colour of the door. We did have lengthy discussions around painting the door, but with such gorgeous heritage, we just couldn’t cover it up.
For a modern door, why not try a pop of colour to liven up your entry, whether it be by painting your front door or by adding a bright matt like this one from Kylie M. Interiors
How about creating appeal with a change in lighting? We love pendant light where there is space to place one. We could not have one with our difficult ceiling line, but added an exterior wall light with a traditional feel. This pendant light via Homebunch is stunning!
Give thought to the style of your home, and style accordingly. This home of Sarah from Majors Mulch as featured in a recent spread in Country Style Magazine, shows the effective simplicity of honoring the age and style of your home.
As always, styling your home should be fun and reflect the personality of those who call your house, home.
Have you styled your the front entry of your home? Are you a fan of the pendant light? What colour is your front door?
1. Linkable posts, must centre around the topics of DIY, Renovations, Home Organisation, Home Improvement, Home Makeovers, Home Styling, or Home Maintenance.
2. You can share 1 post each week. Please make sure they are new to the “Home Improvement Thursday” party.
3. Linking is simple, find the little blue button at the end of the post that says, Add Your Link, and then pop in your URL, and follow the prompts. Your link only needs to be added once and it will automatically show up on both of our blogs… it’s that easy!
4. Grab our #HIT button and pop it on your sidebar. Don’t forget to share it with others.
5. Follow the blogs of your fellow #HIT family, and leave a comment. Please visit and comment on at least three blogs that are near you on the list.
6. Leave a comment on the post below so we can return the favour and comment on your post.
7. Don’t forget to follow The Plumbette and The Builder’s Wife
*Each week Bec and I will feature one of your posts onto our social media pages. By adding your link, you are giving The Builder’s Wife and The Plumbette permission to post one photo from your post with a link back to the full post for future roundups on our blogs and possibly share your image and link on social media.
For any questions please email myself Nicole@thebuilderswife.com.au or Bec Bec@theplumbette.com.au
We’d love you to join in. xxx